Thursday, October 9, 2014

Pumpkins! and a #tbt of course!

Pumpkin Fun!

We started the kickoff to pumpkin fun this week with two different activities during calendar time. The first was "5 Little Pumpkins Sitting on a Gate", which we watched on Youtube. I love the ViewPure (viewpure.com) which allows all videos to be viewed with no commercials or adds :) 

We started the week by just watching the video, as the kids wouldn't have been able to focus on anything else without watching it first! The next day we walked through the song on our own (I'd like to say I'm brave enough to sing but I wasn't confident enouch with this new tune to do that!) using our story board (made in Boardmaker). I also picked up the pumpkins and acted it out as much as possible with them as well!


The rest of the week we've been/are working with the book interactive book "Orange Pumpkin, Orange pumpkin, what do you see?" (which I found on Boardmaker).




With the interactive books students are given a picture to add to the book when the picture they have is mentioned. In this one, each page had a character to add (brown owl, yellow moon, green ghost, etc.). I will ask "Who has...." and we're working on the students replying "I do!" before adding their piece to the book. We also work on colors as we're working on learning to sign the colors right now! 

Tomorrow we'll end the week with a tear and glue, pumpkin project :)


Next week we're digging deep into learning about pumpkins during our afternoon literacy group. We will be starting with a pumpkin investigation on Monday where we cut open and experience pumpkins. Throughout the week we'll learn about the parts of a pumpkin, the pumpkin life cycle and we will be working on sight words through a couple of emergent readers I was lucky enough to find on Teacher Pay Teachers! A lot of materials I also found on Mrs Jones' Creation Station, "Pumpkins Literacy, Math and Science Activities" on herTeacher Pay Teacher page! There is a ton of good stuff in that pack!


I have a quick #tbt for you :) There was one time that a staff told a student of mine that they were a "smart cookie". My student's reply was "I'm not a food, I'm a human!" Still gives me a nice little chuckle!

No comments:

Post a Comment