Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Little Moments that mean Everything!

Today my room experienced a couple of especially exciting moments! :) The first two experiences came as I looked around the room during our calendar time. First I noticed, as I looked around, total engagement from our students (granted during a 30 minute time period, we still had our moments!), but a good amount of the time they were all engaged! Reflecting on where we started at the beginning of the year with calendar time, this is a huge improvement.
Secondly, during my observations I started noticing a kiddo who typically verbalizes very little, was verbal continuously throughout calendar time. Not only was he verbalizing but he was signing along with the signs we've learned so far! I've never heard a sweeter voice :) I can not describe the emotions I experienced during today's calendar time. In just 36 school days I am already seeing so many gains in our students! These little moments (and today there were a couple of big ones!) are everything for us educators! 

Another moment came from a student who is often so stuck in his own schedule and what he's doing next that we often only hear "iPad, go home" from this buddy. But today, as another teacher in the room started sneezing we heard "bless you" from him, and multiple times! Yes, this is a little moment, but it was VERY exciting for the adults in our room :) 

Stay tuned tomorrow for Starkey's room kicking off pumpkin learning! 

1 comment:

  1. Since this didn't seem to go yesterday, I will try it again :)

    As I once told a brand new special education teacher, I am going to tell you; Celebrate all the small things with your students because with some, those small things are huge!! As a teacher of special education kiddos, the time and effort you put forth are great. Celebrate yourself as well :) Keep up the amazing work!!! I appreciate all you do for our kiddos at EH!

    ReplyDelete