Sunday, November 2, 2014

Literacy!

 Time I would love to say that I have literacy for my kiddos all figured out, but the truth is...I'm far from it. I am very excited to attend a literacy training on Nov. 10th and I anticipate a major overhaul will occur, but for now, this is what my literacy with my lower reading students looks like!

 I've recently started having stations twice a week within our literacy time. This allows my students to work with the text much like a general ed classroom Daily 5 time! The first staton pictured has students spell the high frequency words using large letter magnets. The second shows students matching biard maker pictures to the words as my staff models where to find this word within the students' PODD if needed. The third picture shows sentence sequencing where students work on anything from sight word identification (staff asks "give me....") to putting the sentence together appropriately. I didn't snap a picture of the last station, but the last station is a "magic wand" staton where students are either asked to "magically pick up" a certain word or they pick up their own and say the word aloud.

On the other days we focus on language combined with literacy. We recently ready the book "There Was an Old Lady who Swallowed a Bat", therefore our sentience starter of the week was "I see a bat...". We learned a little about bats prior and then students choose which action they wanted to use to complete the sentence. We work with the sentence all week with word hints, sentence sequencing, high frequency word mastery, the stationsand much more. Again, after my professional development on the 10th, I'm sure I'll make big changes, but for now we're learning through these strategies!
 Lastly, my phenomenal Speech-Language Pathologist works in tandem with me for her sessions with my kiddies! This week they made a spider snack (spider is close enough to bat...right?!) while working on using sentence strips and communicating needs. 


 
This year I feel myself learning and growing all the time as its my first year with a roster of students who I can put together in a group that makes sense. It's been challenging, but I love the challenge and the progress in which I'm seeing in my students is more than worth it! 

Happy Sunday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment